Jennifer joined Harris & Brun in 2016, after practicing with a leading insurance defence firm in Vancouver since 2007. Her practice focuses on civil litigation and professional regulation, with an emphasis on claims arising from professional liability, occupiers’ liability, recreational accidents, and motor vehicle accidents. She represents her clients in both litigation and regulatory contexts, before all levels of court in British Columbia and before their respective governing bodies and administrative tribunals. Jennifer’s experience includes litigating personal injury matters involving mild and complicated traumatic brain injuries; neurological injuries including spinal cord injuries; significant orthopaedic injuries; psychiatric and psychological injuries; and chronic pain. Her advice is routinely sought on insurance matters in the realms of litigation, coverage, subrogation, audits, policy wordings, and risk management.
Jennifer is a persuasive advocate for her clients, having earned a Bachelor of Science; a Bachelor of Laws; and a Master of Laws specializing in civil litigation and dispute resolution. Further, Jennifer completed a judicial law clerkship at the Supreme Court of British Columbia prior to being called to the Bar. Nationally, Jennifer was elected an executive member of the Young Lawyers – Canadian Bar Association (YL-CBA) from 2010-2014, serving as National President from 2012-2013. Jennifer has remained active in the Canadian Bar Association and more recently was elected in 2017 to the CBA British Columbia branch (“CBABC”) Provincial Council and Executive Committee; and in 2018 to the position of CBABC Secretary-Treasurer. She is also a member of several other professional associations including the Medical Legal Society of British Columbia.
Jennifer is a regular contributor and presenter for continuing professional development seminars both provincially and nationally, focusing on civil litigation and health law content. She enjoys addressing substantive law and narrow practice issues, such as discovery practice and oral advocacy techniques; as well as other important issues facing our justice system including access to justice, judicial independence, and the self-regulation of our profession. Since 2017, Jennifer has co-authored Discovery Practice in British Columbia, a Continuing Legal Education of British Columbia publication, with Lyle G. Harris, Q.C.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Secretary-Treasurer, Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch (2018-2019)
- Executive Committee, Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch (2017-present)
- Provincial Council, Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch (2017-present)
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia (2010-present)
- Member, Medical Legal Society of British Columbia (2009-present)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (2005-present)
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers (2009-2016)
- Past-President, Canadian Bar Association Young Lawyers Executive (2013-2014)
- Member, Advisory Committee, CBABC Rural Education and Access to Lawyers (REAL) Initiative (2009-2014)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. Branch (2008-present) (insurance law, health law, environmental law, women’s lawyer forum).
- President, CBA Young Lawyers Executive (2012-2013)
- Member, CBA National Board of Directors (2012-2013)
- Member, CBA Nominating Sub-Committee (2012-2013)
- Member, CBA YL Pro-Bono Award Selection Committee (2012-2013)
- Vice-President, CBA Young Lawyers Executive (2011-2012)
- Member, CBA Finance Committee (2011-2012)
- Member, CBA Membership Committee (2010-2012)
- Member, CBA Sections and Conference Chairs Committee (2010-2012)
- Member at Large, Young Lawyers CBABC-Lower Mainland Executive (2010-2012)
- Secretary Treasurer, CBA Young Lawyers Executive (2010-2011)
- 2015 LL.M., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- 2010 Called to the British Columbia Bar
- 2008-2009 Judicial Law Clerkship, BCSC
- 2008 LL.B., University of Calgary
- 2005 B.Sc., University of British Columbia
Seminars and Presentations
- Medication and Addiction Issues in Personal Injury Litigation 2017 CLEBC, Presenter on Medical-Legal Panel, April 20, 2017, Vancouver.
- Medical Legal Conference 2016 CLEBC, Presenter of Medical Legal Matters in Litigation with The Honourable Madam Justice Neena Sharma and Dr. Garry Feinstadt, October 21, 2016, Vancouver.
- Civil Litigation Conference – 2014 CLEBC, The Reality of Proportionality: A tailored approach to litigation, March 28, 2014, Vancouver.
- Winning Advocacy: Examination in chief and cross-examination of expert witnesses, Canadian Bar Association Canadian Legal Conference, August 13, 2012, Vancouver.
- Legal Profession Assistance Conference Annual Symposium, Understanding and Promoting a Healthy Legal Society in the 21stCentury, October 1, 2011, Kamloops.
- International Bar Association Annual Conference, Address on behalf of Young Lawyers – Canadian Bar Association, October 3, 2010, Vancouver
- Defending Personal Injury 2016 CLEBC, Defending Claims Brought by Unrepresented Litigants, February 4, 2016, Vancouver.
- Embracing the Civil Resolution Tribunal: Taking a Page from Darwin’s Book, August 2014.
- Interim Relief and Emergency Arbitration Procedures: A Comparative Analysis Across Institutions, December 2014.
- Vicarious Liability of the Contemporary Canadian Hospital: Sustained immunity or novel responsibility? July 2013.
- Resolver of Disputes, Interpreter of the Law and Defender of the Constitution: The Importance of Judicial Independence in Canada, December, 2013.
- Defending Personal Injury – 2012 CLEBC, Managing Self-Represented Litigants in Personal Injury: A Small Claims Court Perspective, February 2012.
- Navigating the Disclosure of College Investigation Files in Civil Dental Malpractice Actions in British Columbia: Privileged or producible? November 2012.